Thursday, March 19, 2020

Media - Week 3



Media... wow where to begin. 

Create This weeks session saw us exploring lots of different ways of being creative and engaging students with the use of google apps, Youtube and more.

“Give the students something to do,
 not something to learn;
And the doing is of such a nature as to demand thinking;
Learning naturally results”.
John Dewey

Creating is all about exploring and discovering. It is a highly metacognitive. Teaching students to think outside the square, be problem solvers within a integrated curriculum will empower and motivate our students.


Live stream If its worth teaching its worth capturing, if its worth capturing its worth sharing. There are many different tools to use to capture learning and live stream or delayed stream for whānau to be part of the learning day. Our school has used a Go pro to capture experiences on Marine Reserve trips, cross country and triathlons. We also used a drone in 2017 to capture the school cross country. The drone is a fantastic tool but as our school is located in the airport zone you have to be sure you stay within the height restrictions. It was so engaging both at the event but also back in the classroom. To re-watch it and help relive the experience was a great way to support writing a recount.



For me today I was drawn to the learning about the DJI Osmo. I can see how easy this would be to use in the everyday classroom. It can capture learning while creating a professional finish to share as it provides stability when filming. I will be talking with my team about purchasing this product.



Chalk & Talk
I have used my You tube channel to create playlists for school songs, publish videos of school events, videos to support learning for our classroom sites and many Ted talks to support my own professional study.

Today was valuable as I learnt about Youtube studio and the importance of having a school Youtube account to share directly from instead of always using my personal channel. With the constant changes in privacy and protecting the viewers we explored different ways to create or save a playlist that is suitable content for our tamariki.
The chances Youtube make constantly been we need to keep an eye on different settings or ways to save clips to our channel or playlist. The way I have always saved a Youtube clips is my viewing then using the + to add to a playlist. A new to achieve this is to save in search view by clicking on the 3 dots to the side of the Youtube clip, not once clicked into it and add using+ (you tube have changed settings to protect clips with kids) 
Important tips I learn't in You tube studio;
  • Find dashboard
  • Change settings around privacy per playlist (public/private)
  • Change the order of your playlist
  • URL & embed code




        Yay! what a great afternoon spent creating animation using Google slides. I love the way google slides is so multipurposeful. 
        My animation creation was to linked to our current inquiry about Kaitikitanga - protecting our oceans. My animation is a visual representation of what our oceans look like and what is happening with more plastic being introduced. Its a work in progress but I love the way I can embed it into my blog and it's updated as I make changes. 





        The DFI course each week brings new learning, helps refresh and update our current knowledge and is interactive. I enjoyed today as we had plenty of time to explore and CREATE.  

        1 comment:

        1. So much learning captured on your post this week Janine. Ka pai! Obviously my favourite part is your google slide creation, awesome that you linked it to our Marine Reserve/Kaitiakitanga mahi.
          The DJI Osmo did look amazing, I wonder if Nik would be keen?
          Michelle.

          ReplyDelete

        Please structure your comments as follows:
        Positive - Something done well
        Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
        Helpful - Give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about